Some feel uneasy attending a public gathering for the first time, not knowing what to expect. Some are even reluctant to attend the services of a church when they are unfamiliar with what happens. We want you to be comfortable when you visit with us!
You can expect to find a simple worship service, adhering to the teachings of the New Testament. We assemble on every Lord’s Day (Acts 20:7, Revelation 1:10), which is Sunday, the first day of the week. When we come together, we participate in the five acts of worship that one can read about in the New Testament.
- Prayer – We are led by the men of the congregation (1 Timothy 2:1-8).
- Singing – The whole congregation (not only a group or choir) joins together in praising God in song without the use of musical instruments (Ephesians 5:19, Colossians 3:16).
- Communion – The members of the church partake of unleavened bread and fruit of the vine every Lord’s Day in remembrance of Christ’s death on the cross (Acts 20:7).
- Preaching – The congregation hears lessons from the Word of God (Acts 2:42; Romans 10:14).
- Giving – The work of the church continues because each Lord’s Day, every Christian contributes financially as they have been blessed (1 Corinthians 16:2). The church does not ask for donations from visitors or participate in fundraisers or drives.
Wednesday Night Bible Study
You can expect to open God’s word as we study and build faith. The elders have planned for us to fulfill our duty to study the Bible (2 Timothy 2:15), by meeting on Wednesday night and opening God’s word together. It is during these times that we are able to encourage one another (Hebrews 10:24-25) in the middle of the week – helping each other maintain that Christian light (Matthew 5:16) to shine for others during our work week.
Word of God
You can expect us to have a wholesome respect for the inspired word of God, the sole and complete authority in religion today. “If any man speak let him speak as the oracles of God” (1 Peter 4:11). “Let us all walk by the same rule” (Philippians 3:16). Since the church at Hurley accepts the Word of God as an all-sufficient rule of faith and practice you can expect us to reject all human creeds (Galatians 1:8-9; Revelation 22:18-19).
You can expect us to teach and ask people to follow Christ’s commands as found in the Bible. Jesus declared, “Upon this rock I will build my church” (Matthew 16:18), so the church is identified as belonging to Him (Romans 16:16). In the church, you will hear everyone entreated to obey the Lord’s commands, namely: BELIEVE in Christ (John 8:24), REPENT of sins (Luke 13:3), CONFESS Christ (Matthew 10:32), and be BAPTIZED into Christ (Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38) in order to become a Christian, a member of the Lord’s church. After becoming a Christian, disciples are then urged to continue faithfully in worshipping and serving the Lord as the New Testament directs.
You can expect to hear gospel preachers pleading for all who would follow Christ to follow the original pattern of Christianity as revealed in the New Testament. Since the Word of God is the seed of the Kingdom (Luke 8:11), it ALONE can be planted in the hearts o men to produce the same fruit today as it did in the first century! This product will be New Testament Christians.
The Hurley church of Christ pleads for all people to follow the basic approach described in the New Testament in serving God. This is the only real answer to Christian unity and fellowship in Christ. (Ephesians 4:5; 1 Corinthians 1:10).
You will always receive a friendly welcome at the Hurley Church of Christ!